Four Masters GAA

Club Crest & Colours

Club Crest
The club crest is made up of several different elements. The initials on the top of the crest represent each of the Four Masters; Mícheál Ó Cléirigh, Cú Choigcríche Ó Cléirigh, Fearfeasa Ó Maol Chonaire and Peregrine Ó Duibhgeannain. The football, hurl and sliotar represent each section within the club. The monk writing and the decorative window represent the Four Masters writing the Annals in the Franciscan monastery in Donegal Town . The white and blue represent the club colors.

image

History of The Four Masters
The Annals of the Four Masters are mainly a compilation of earlier annals, although there is some original work. They were compiled between 1632 and 1636 in the Franciscan monastery in Donegal Town and along the banks of the river Drowes. The entries for the 12th century and before are sourced from medieval monastic annals. The later entries come from the records of the Irish aristocracy (such as the Annals of Ulster), and the seventeenth century entries based on personal recollection and observation. The chief compiler of the annals was Mícheál Ó Cléirigh, who was assisted by, among others, Cú Choigcríche Ó Cléirigh, Fearfeasa Ó Maol Chonaire and Peregrine Ó Duibhgeannain. Even though only one of the authors was an actual Franciscan, Micheal O’Clerigh, the became known as ‘The Four Friars’ or in the original Irish, ‘Na Ceithre Máistirí’. The Anglicised version of this was ‘The Four Masters’, a name which then became attached to annals themselves. The patron of the project was Fearghal Ó Gadhra, a lord in County Sligo. The annals are written in Irish. There are several manuscript copies in existence, which are kept in Trinity College Dublin, the Royal Irish Academy, and University College Dublin. They also can be found in the National Library of Ireland.

Club Colours
The home jersey is blue with white outlining, with blue shorts and socks. The away jerseys is white with blue outlining, with blue shorts and socks. The ladies have recently got a pink away jersey, a first in the club.

image

Club Location
Four Masters G.A.A. Club is based in the parishes of Townawilly and Killymard, Donegal Town.
Four Masters is one of the oldest and most successful clubs in County Donegal with it’s origins dated back to 1905 when the club was first founded under the name “Ball Dearg Hurling and Football Club”. We are a very progressive club with 23 teams competing in Hurling, Gaelic Football and Ladies Football. We strive to provide our members and children with the best facilities available.